Saturday, December 29, 2007

Michael E. Leahy 1954 - 2007


Michael had four older brothers and I was the oldest of three and in those days our two families joined together for holidays and regular weekend get-togethers. It was great adventure when we went off to visit with our Leahy cousins in Neponset, not always pleasant but usually educational. Like the time I foolishly tried on a pair of boxing gloves and quickly found I had several eager volunteers to demonstrate their use. Like many fleeting aspects of life, I have come to realize the significance of these years and recognize what a precious time it was.

Michael was born on January 15, 1954 which would have made him six months old when my father Frank, brother to Michael’s mother, Bridie, passed away at 43. And while I didn’t realize it at the time, Frank’s death would also mark a fork in the road, after which, our gang of eight would cease to be. Oh, we would see each other at the requisite family affairs like weddings and funerals, but we all were busy getting on with our lives to worry about the days of May Processions and Easter dinners. Fortunately for all of us, the blood bond has managed to endure, even in the face of our demanding lives.

As the years continued to pass, my brothers and I moved around to places where a family get together involved one or more airline flights. Our address books were always kept in pencil to accommodate the frequent changes. Erase Atlanta and write in New York or San Diego or even Atlanta and New York, once again.

The brothers Leahy followed a different path. Except for Denis, who God called home at a much-too-young age, they settled in, and near, St. Ann’s parish and raised families according to the values they learned at their parent’s knees, each in his own way helping to make their home town a better place. I admire their demonstrated commitment to their roots. It was in this tradition that Michael, his wife Pat and their two sons, Denis and Conor, made their home in the house on Port Norfolk Street that had been originally purchased by his parents. This was the house where so many of our family get togethers took place and it fills a warm niche in my memories.

Yesterday, Father Tom Foley celebrated Mike’s funeral mass and spoke of Mike's large heart and solid family values. For those few who didn't know Mike, I invite you to read the article that appeared in yesterday's Boston Globe or the vivid remembrance in the Dorchester Reporter written by his niece, Ann Mc Gough. Father Tom also talked about the importance of families and all those who have gone before us. I found myself remembering those days when we all piled into my father's car for a Sunday excursion. I remember how good it felt, blessedly ignorant of knowing how brief that time would be.

Yesterday, St. Ann’s was packed with mourners and our collective hearts went out to Mike’s wife Patricia and his two son’s, Conor and Dennis. All of the brothers, Mike’s and mine, know the pain of losing one’s father. And while there is little that can be done to shield them from their grief, I pray that the love and solidity of their extended family will help them bear their tragic loss.

Michael Leahy, R.I.P.

7 comments:

Liz said...

That's very nice John. I don't know the Leahy's as well as I might but they seem like a great family and its good you guys have kept in touch even just a little bit.
- Elizabeth Malloy

Anonymous said...

Great story, John

It brought tears to my eyes.

It reminds me of a lot Kevin has talked about.

- Mary C Malloy

Anonymous said...

A very touching remembrance. Thank you Judith Leahy

Anonymous said...

John, thank you very much for your kind remembrance of my baby brother Michael. He will be missed. Jim Leahy

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend Michael's funeral. My Brother John mentions the similarities between the Malloy and Leahy families as both lost fathers at early ages. I spent quite a bit of time with Michael when Uncle Jimmy passed away and know the impact it had on him as he felt that he was really just getting to know his father.

I was only 18 months old when my father Frank died, I had the least amount of time with my father and know the impact of not really knowing your father can have on someone.

I know Michael would want Conor and Denis to remember fondly the time that they did have as I remember him the same way.

Growing up in a different part of Dorchester and playing on different teams, I remember many battles on the football field between myself on the defensive line and Cousin Michael on the offensive line smashing each other long after the play was over.

It will be Micheal's zest for life that will always remain in my mind and heart.

Michael, you will be missed by everyone.

Anonymous said...

Well written John, although I have different memories, being Mikee’s nephew. There is many of “Cool Uncle Mikee” looking out for his family. Thank you John.
Rest easy Uncle.

Unknown said...

Thank you for posting this warm and heartfelt article, John. It means alot to my Dad Gerard that you stay in touch via cyberspace. Glad that I had the opportunity to meet and speak with you at Uncle Mike's wake. Be well and enjoy Plymouth.

Warm regards,

Karen M. (Leahy) Olevitz